Be still and know

Be still and know

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

There are too many words

I have this problem. There are too many words. There are always too many words. I always have too many words, so many words everything just gets jumbled up and I get overwhelmed. But you know what, writing is helping to release that. For about a week now I've been trying to find the right words to share during Cameron's memorial...I'm on draft number 4 now I think. But I really like draft number three a lot, but it's much easier to share in writing than it would be to speak it, especially at such an emotionally charged time. So even though it wasn't purposed for this place, I'm giving it that purpose.

Today I wrote more about what Cameron taught me. My next lesson from Cameron was on love, real love. So here's my ranting from earlier today on what I've gained from loving Cameron and Cameron loving me:

(Keep in mind this is cut and pasted from where I'm trying to plan to speak words aloud...)

Cameron was my first real love. I didn’t expect to come here and fall in love when I started my time at CLUMC. Actually the contrary, I asked God to hold off on that part of my life until I was done with my time in seminary and serving here. I didn’t anticipate falling in love, but I’m so glad I did.  I was afraid to fall for someone, afraid to let them that deep into my life, into my being. I was afraid, until I met Cameron.

Cameron taught me so many incredible things, but what I will hold onto the tightest and forever be thankful for Cameron was what he taught me about real love. He taught me love is natural.  I’ve always heard the phase “when you know you know”. What I’ve found is that this is true; I know I knew because I was told by the Father “that’s him”. It was so easy to fall for Cameron because that first moment I saw him I felt God finally say, “that’s him”. It didn’t take much, it wasn’t scary or confusing, falling in love with Cameron was natural because we were following God’s lead. When God is the focus of our lives, everything else falls into place effortlessly.

Cameron also taught me that love is hard, but it’s so worth it. Loving anyone is hard, especially when you’re like me and didn’t really fully know how to do it. But Cameron taught me what real love looks like. Real love is selfless; real love requires you to think of the other person before yourself, but that real love leads to the most joy; because real love is finding happiness in someone else’s happiness. Cameron brought me joy beyond joy simply through his smile, his laugh, and his happiness.

Cameron taught me that love is humble. Before I fell in love with Cameron I always had this skewed idea that love required great actions to show your love in big gestures. But I learned that real love is found in the simplicity, real love is content with simply the presence of one another. It’s found in the silence of words that don’t need to be spoken. Real love is contentment with whatever circumstances you may find yourself in, as long as you have the other person by your side.

Cameron taught me that love is worth the fight. It’s worth enduring the pain and hardship of this world together, because love is bigger than our circumstance. Cameron loved like Christ loved. He loved without bounds and conditions. It defied rhyme or reason. There’s nothing I could have done to escape it or lose it. This is how the Father loves, it’s boundless, unconditional, inescapable, and unwavering. To be loved her on earth the way Christ loves, there aren’t words enough to describe the feeling.

If I have gained anything it is this: to love a person the way Christ does is the greatest gift you can give to one another. To be loved in its purest, simplest form is to gain a little glimpse of heaven. I fell in love with a man who gave that to me. Cameron loved me and taught me to love myself better, to love other harder, and to love God above all else. I will forever be blessed by his life.


I am changed because of who Cameron was and how he lived. My soul longs for heaven a little bit more; my heart cries out to God a little bit more, my joy is found in the unseen a little bit more. I choose to live into that changed life, to reflect the Father’s love because of how I have been loved. I want to glorify God with everything I do, I want to glorify God the way Cameron glorified God.



So that's it for me tonight. Slightly lazy but it's been a bit of an emotionally taxing day. But I keep trying to remind myself it's all progress. Praying for sleep, peace, and comfort as well get closer to the memorial this Saturday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment