For nine months I've said quite a bit: "I don't know what I'm doing". Nine months has proved actually in some places I do know what I'm doing, but in a week I'm back to saying I don't know what I'm doing. And that's okay.
Nine months ago I moved to a new place to start a new job in a not so new calling. Nine months ago I had myself convinced I have no idea what I am doing in respects to my job in ministry. Nine months ago I met the love of my life, eight months ago I started dating the love of my life. Six months ago I started believing maybe I have a few ideas about what I'm doing in ministry, five months ago I was told never to say "I don't know what I'm doing" again. A week ago the love of my life went to be with Jesus, and a week ago I started saying "I don't know what I'm doing" again. An hour ago I started telling myself it's okay if I don't know what I'm doing, because the only one who really does, and in fact really needs to, knows what He's doing.
I've never written for an audience before, and lets be honestly I don't expect many to take a look just as much as I'm writing more for me than I am for anyone else. When it comes to blogging I truly don't know what I'm doing. In my purpose for starting this I'm already doing it wrong, but that's okay too. Today is the end of day nine of defining my new normal, day nine of figuring out what the Lord has for the rest of my new normal. I'm sure the story of why I need a new normal will be told eventually, but now I just want to establish the name of the game.
Today is Ash Wednesday, and it didn't even hit me until someone asked me today if I had any Ash Wednesday plans. I still don't but I started thinking about Lent because oh yeah that starts today. In the past week I've given up more than I ever wanted to or dreamed I would have to. I'm not really feeling a whole lot of want to give up anything else. So if I feel like I can't give something up then I sure can add something; like I said, I'm defining my new normal right now. Thus for Lent this year I'm going to read and write everyday. Two things I pretty strongly dislike.
I don't know what I'm doing, I've completely lost sight of shore in a lot of aspect of my life and my faith. But I long to find land again, even if it's a new one. Today I haven't read yet, but due to the convince of the computer sitting in front of me already I'll go ahead and write. I hope at some points during this journey of Lent and searching for a new normal I'll write in response to reading...we'll make that the goal I suppose.
I wish I had a better closing for this, but it's just not coming, which is okay. There's going to be lots of mistakes: spelling, grammar, logic, theology, facts, judgment. But I think that's what may make this time beautiful, because in all the mistakes there's grace. And grace favors effort. This is my effort for tonight, we'll see where it goes.
Great idea and great job!
ReplyDeleteAt 53, I STILL don't know what I'm doing. Well, yeah, I'm trusting. I've read so many stories of how He uses the simplest, unqualified of His creations to carry out some of His greatest plans. Yep, I don't have to know, just trust.
Blessings!
Katherine, I just want you to know that my heart has been hurting so much for you this last week. I know we got busy and drifted apart, but I want you to know that I still have so much love and admiration for you. You've got (one of) your first subscribers here, beautiful. Please feel free to contact me for any reason ever. My number hasn't changed.
ReplyDelete<3 Rachel
I actually can't figure out how to follow you. I'm so bad at using the internet, it's really sad. If you go into your blogger layout and add the email subscribe widget, it will make it easier for people to follow you via their email addresses.
DeleteWhat a fantastic idea for what to take on in the season of Lent! We love you bunches
ReplyDeleteI'm reading. And I'm hurting for you in the very deepest part of my heart. I love you!
ReplyDeleteI was talking with some friends the other night and said that I don't like the whole give up something for Lent thing. I think we should take something up for Lent, something that will bring us closer to God. In that respect you are off to a great start.
ReplyDelete